Tuesday 20 March 2012

The (almost) 40-year old with braces!

I've never worn braces and I have had crooked teeth my entire life.  The older I got, the easier it was to convince myself that it was not worth the money (and the hassle) to get braces to "fix" something that I believed was purely cosmetic.   
Fortunately, my brother-in-law, Dr. David Shock, is a dentist and convinced me that having straight teeth is not just for a cosmetic benefit, but it is also beneficial to my health.   

Some health benefits of having straight teeth include:
- gums fit more securely around the teeth, defending against potential periodontal problems.     
 - Teeth are easier to clean.  When teeth are crowded, food is more likely to get trapped inbetween the teeth.  This can often lead to plaque buildup and eventually tooth decay.  Tooth decay and gum disease are caused by bacteria. Left untreated, they can cause mouth sores, tender or bleeding gums, bad breath, and possible tooth loss. Studies by the American Dental Association have shown that oral infections can also lead to other more serious ailments such as heart disease, stroke, pneumonia and diabetes.
- alleviation of the issues that can be caused by an improper bite, such as speech or chewing difficulties, jaw problems, and increased wear on the tooth enamel
So, several weeks ago I started on my journey with Invisalign.  I'll be posting about my experience.  I work here at Hamilton Town Dentistry, so if you have any questions about my experience with Invisalign, feel free to ask! Also, Dr. Shock is happy to have a free consultation with you to discuss Invisalign also.     


2/13/12 Audra's teeth pre-invisalign



References -

No comments:

Post a Comment